Having braces doesn't necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today's braces are made from either clear or natural tooth colored (ceramic) materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear (ceramic) braces and clear aligners?
Clear (ceramic) braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients requiring minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and your orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear braces offer a cosmetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: Clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Your orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to your orthodontist about all of your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask your orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear braces may take longer than with traditional metal braces. If you don't mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to your orthodontist to find out how long your treatment time will be with clear braces.
Are clear (ceramic) braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to your orthodontist, you can decide if clear braces are the right treatment for you. Your orthodontist can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.
"I am very grateful for the opportunity of meeting Dr. Foley and the experience I have had with him."~ Vanessa R. Read Vanessa's Story
"My experience with Dr. Foley is unforgettable."~ Janairis P. Read Janairis’ Story
"I would not trade him for any other orthodontist. He's the best!!"~ Mother of Devon O. Read Devon’s Mother’s Story